Long overdue. But better late than never, right? The space is not 100% complete, but it looks fantastically close to being done. The one thing we never got to was painting the french doors. I wanted black frames. But there is so much prep work required and so much room for error I decided to put off until we were back from our adventure. So three cheers to how far we have come! (and future success).
Resources in case you’re interested:
- Heated floor mats: Thermasoft
- Floor tiles: Luxetile
- Paint: Farrow and Ball Cornforth White on the plaster walls; Whitewash on the brick; Benjamin Moore Advance Cloud White – moldings and door.
- Ceiling tin tiles: tiles salvaged from now defunct brass knob warehouse, cornice from tinceilingxpress.com
- Cabinets: Ikea Applad
- Hardware: Liberty Artesia line in Sedona Bronze
- Countertops: Ikea butcher block stained with India ink and sealed
- Island countertop and under-cabinet shelves: reclaimed wood form the original joists that used to support our house
- Dishwasher: Whirlpool for Ikea
- Refrigerator: Fischer Pykel
- Vent Hood: KOBE Insert range hood 700 CFM*
- Microwave: Whirlpool 0.5 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven
- Faucet: Vintage (by the way of now defunct Brassknob warehouse)
- Sink: Blanco Precis
- Over-the-island Lights: West Elm
- Bench: Custom design and build
- French Doors: Weathershield
- Powder room and Basement Doors/ Hinges/ Lock set & handle: Community Forklift for the first two, Loading Dock
* I would not recommend the venthood that we got. It functions beautifully, and i love that it is an insert. But it is very loud. Next time, I will spend the extra to get a quieter fan.
Sooooo — we
had have these beautiful countertops in the kitchen. Originally butcher block from Ikea, we stained them jet black with ink and then invested a lot of time getting them sealed. I had done a lot of research and apparently quite a few people out there have a luck with Waterlox, which is great to use because it is food-grade safe. But bad news for us, I probably didn’t do a great job sealing them. I don’t know – maybe I was sanding too much between coats? All I know is that I did about 9 or 10 layers and less than a year in we were getting splotches.Plus every time I would clean the counter I could tell some ink was coming off, which meant that the seal wasn’t working that great.
Since we have tenants moving in, we want to get everything in tip top shape, and that would include the counters in particular (no need for new kitchen to fall apart). I did a little digging in the basement and found a varnish that is used for bar tops. It might not be food safe, but that should most definitely be plenty water proof. And I don’t ever use the counter directly for food prep, so we are good on that front.
I stained the little bits that were getting splotchy with the same ink, and sealed this puppy up. So.much.easier than waterlox done in under 5 minutes. Also, instead of brush I used an old pantyhose, and it worked beautifully. And just six hours of drying time instead of 24. And all that’s needed is 3 coats. (I am going to do 4 just to be on the safe side.) I love how nice and shiny it is now. And hopefully it will stay this way for a good long time.
Over and out. Next up, kitchen before and after reveal.
I love Farrow and Ball. And, there is no other paint quite like it. I questioned it before, but now I know that it does stand apart from other brands, in a class of its own. It’s not just the color – although that’s pretty damn good too, but the quality – the looks and feels of it on a wall. And I am not the only one who noticed the difference – Sergey did too, which means it really does exist! The photos don’t do justice to how awesomely lustrous our kitchen walls look, this is more of an in-person difference.
Kitchen walls – Cornforth White, Farrow and Ball.
Oh an aside – that light fixture in the dining room looks pretty swell in the background, eh?
We didn’t have that much wall space to cover in this room, but with four door / hallway openings (french doors, dining room pass through, bathroom and basement doors) and a tin ceiling there were a lot of edges / moldings around which to paint. This could have been a drag, if it weren’t for the paint edger tool. Seriously this thing is amazing – it gives a crisp line that goes right up to the edge, but doesn’t bleed over or smudge. Makes painting go so much faster than trying to either tape the walls or use the brush to cut in at the edges.
To paint the walls, we used a small 4″ foam roller, because it gives an amazing finish and we didn’t have that much space to cover (we used less than a quart of paint in two coats!)
Seriously, the paint looks so good, its almost like wallpaper. It might be in part due to the modern emulsion finish, which is formulated for high traffic areas and kitchens/bathrooms and which has more sheen to it. We will be painting our living room Farrow and Ball’s Elephant’s Breath in regular emulsion, which is supposed to be quite chalky, so remains to be determined how that will compare.